Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hunger Awareness

I took a photo of this hunger awareness ad when we were driving down one of the streets in San Francisco. I guess judging from my blog I can't really claim I am the 5th person huh?

I am fortunate enough that I never had to go hungry in my life so far, no matter how much of a tough time my family been through, or how little I have to live on when I was in college, I never had to go to bed hungry. I always feel really bad for those that are down on their luck, do not have a home, and just long for a warm meal every so often, so even though I don't have much, I try to do what I can: buy a meal for the homeless sometimes, donate food to food banks, and another really fun one is to go on FreeRice.com

A lot of you probably already been on FreeRice.com and if you're like me, you get addicted to it once you start playing. If you have not heard of this site, you can play vocabulary, math, chemistry, art and language games, and for each answer you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice to the UN World food program to help end world hunger.

The amount of time it took me to finish this blog post, I have donated 500 grains of rice by playing the French vocab game, and I don't even know French! I know we will probably never be able to end world hunger, but each and every one of us can do a little something to help another less fortunate person. You don't need to have a lot, just need a heart and a will, so go have fun and you can also help put some food on someone else's dinner plate!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found a paper from when I attended a hunger banquet. You know, where a very large group of people have go to a large room and are given a card to say whether they are rich, middle class, or poor. The rich are a small percentage of the room and sit in nice chairs and tables, they get a great 4 course meal. The middle class get rice, some veggies, and sit on chairs without tables. The lower class is the largest group by far, they sit on the floor and just get a little bit of rice. It's all supposed to represent hunger in the world. It was a cool experiment.

As for freerice.com, i've only done the english dictionary. I think i'm off to play now. I love math tests and wonder if they have german. THANKS!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey