Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Big Apple - Ess-a-Bagel

To be perfectly honest, I have been dreading to post this review ever since I got back from New York because it is not the raving review that I want to write. Some of you might curse me or want to give me a beating for writing what I am about to write, which is why I am very glad that I did not post a photo of myself on here, despite the fact that some people mentioned that it would be nice to see a photo of the author.

My experience was not all bad, but I will mentioned the disappointing part first, so I can use the good part later to cushion the blow; and maybe if I end it on a good note, people will forget the first part of the post. (wishful thinking)

I know New Yorkers take their bagels very seriously, so for our first meal in New York we went on the web and sought out the best bagel place in New York. There were a few places that received rave reviews but my boyfriend decided that Ess-a-Bagel is the winner!

We arrived at the 3rd ave. location at around 9am and were able to get our bagels and sit down before a mini rush of people came flocking in, lucky us! I took a bite of the bagel and believe me when I say that I really want to love this bagel, I really really do want to, and I still do actually; but it was somewhat of a disappointment. I've read countless reviews stating that the bagels are "tender and fluffy on the inside and has a nice crispy texture on the outside," and with that in mind, compounded with the fact that this is the real deal New York bagel, I was prepared to be sent to heaven with my first bite.

I took the first bite, chewed, swallowed, and looked around myself, baffled by the fact that I'm still on earth. Where's the white fluffy clouds? Where's the white light and singing angels? And why am I still sitting in front of my boyfriend and his friend?!?! Although the outside did have a nice crust, the inside was really dense and almost tastes a little..... stale. It was kind of a challenge to finish it all up, and I'm sad to say that my boyfriend said he will not come back here again and the place is overrated. As for me, I am willing to give it another shot, but I would probably want to come here at 6:30am to get the ones that are fresh fresh fresh out of the oven.



What I did like about Ess-a-Bagel is that the service was pretty fast; the people behind the counter was not that friendly, but they get you your food in lightening speed, which is great! I was also amazed at how many different types of cream cheese spread you can choose from, and the best part was they are not shy on the spread. Look at how much cream cheese is sandwiched between the bagels! I have never seen a place in California that is so generous with their cream cheese!


One other thing I liked about the bagels is the size. They are almost double the size of what I'm used to here in California. In fact, I just had a bagel a few hours ago, and you just can't beat the portion of the bagel and cream cheese in New York, it's fantastic!

All and all, I think they deserve another shot, and next time I'll be there early hoping I'll have a chance to enter into heaven!

3 comments:

Frozen Yoga said...

I really could live on bagels and I too always wondered if NY bagels were worth the hype. I've never tried one though. At least now I don't feel like I'm missing out on something wonderful by living in SC :)

tracychong said...

Ooh, that's exactly how I like my cream cheese spread. Nice and thick!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

I completely agree. I am not that impressed with their bagels... they are rather doughy throughout and I like a nice thick crusty exterior with chewy interior. Size isn't as important as texture in the case of bagels.

I prefer them from Zaro's- I get them in Penn Station- and I always ask for the most well done one. Crunch! Now that's a good bagel, though they don't have much variety when it comes to spreads.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey